"Izvestiya" newspaper

A third of accidents occurred due to the fault of illegal carriers

20 January 2016

Almost half of all fatalities in passenger transport in 2014 were caused by unlicensed bus drivers

Drivers of almost 35% of buses involved in road accidents in 2014 did not have a license to carry passengers. The severity of the consequences of these accidents is almost twice as high as compared with accidents involving legal market players. As Izvestia was told in the «Road Safety Russia», the fault of the “shadow” drivers in Russia killed 149 people - 51% of the total number of deaths in passenger transport. According to the director Vadim Melnikov, illegal immigrants do not observe the work and rest regime of drivers and do not conduct pre-trip and post-trip medical examinations.

In 2014, the number of accidents related to violations committed by bus drivers increased: 4904 accidents occurred, which is 10.7% more than in 2013. At the same time, the mortality rate decreased slightly - 292 passengers died (less by 6.1%) and 7397 were injured (more by 6.2%).

According to the «Road Safety Russia», the drivers of about 2/3 of the buses (65.5%) involved in road accidents had a license for transportation activities. But the remaining 34.5% of road accidents (1693) were committed by bus drivers who did not have a license to carry passengers. Through their fault, 149 people died, that is, 51% of the total number of deaths in passenger transport.

“From year to year, the death rate in road accidents due to the fault of unlicensed bus drivers exceeds half of all deaths in passenger transport,” says Melnikov. - In the pursuit of profit, such "shadow" drivers neglect the basic requirements for organizing and carrying out transportation and ensuring road safety: they do not have the organization of the work of drivers in accordance with the requirements to ensure road safety; they do not comply with the work and rest regime of drivers; there are no conditions for improving the qualifications of drivers, their training; there are no pre-trip and post-trip medical examinations of drivers.

In addition, illegal carriers do not monitor the technical condition of vehicles and do not provide civil liability insurance for vehicle owners.

The problem of accidents involving freight transport also remains relevant. In 2014, 11,575 road accidents occurred due to the fault of truck drivers (the number decreased by 0.1% compared to 2013). In accidents, 2,109 people died (an increase of 1.4%) and 14,404 people were injured (a decrease of 2.5%).

It should be noted that since 2014, tachographs (a control device designed to register the speed, working hours, and rest of drivers) have begun to be required on freight and passenger transport, which are also designed to reduce road accidents.

- Not all trucking companies and owners of cargo and passenger vehicles (TC) are in a hurry to equip them with tachographs. According to some reports, less than a quarter of the vehicle fleet to be equipped (over 4.1 million vehicles) is now equipped with control devices, Melnikov said.

Almost 2/3 of the trucks whose drivers have committed an accident (66.2%) are in personal property - individuals. In 2014, in 7666 such accidents, 1323 people died and 9448 were injured.

- The law obliges legal entities and individual entrepreneurs to install tachographs, but it does not apply to individuals, - says Melnikov. - A vehicle, of course, can be registered to an individual, but if this person, for example, works for a trucking company or is hired for transportation to an individual entrepreneur, then he immediately becomes a participant in commercial transportation, and in this case, the installation of a tachograph is also required. However, this is not yet happening in full.

Read on: http://izvestia.ru/news/585789#ixzz3Ybr3MCe9




So that to post a comment you need to login the web site

Login Register
Login Register