ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Ford Defensive Driving Academy is an educational program on defensive driving for drivers with less than three years of driving experience, that is a part of a global social program by Ford Motor Company, existing since 2003 in 20 countries all over the world – Ford Driving Skills for Life.
Ford Defensive Driving Academy aims to provide free education to young drivers who have recently received their driving license. In Russia this program is being jointly realized by Ford Sollers and Road Safety Russia.
Ford Defensive Driving Academy has been present in Russia for two years. In 2014, more than 400 people from three Russian cities (Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Kazan) participated in the trainings. In 2015, the Academy has significantly widened its reach, engaging more than 2,000 participants from Nizhny Novgorod, Ekaterinburg, Chelyabinsk, Ufa, Samara, and Rostov-na-Donu. The Ford Defensive Driving Academy project will continue in 2016.
Ford Defensive Driving Academy practice classes has been specifically adapted for road and climate conditions in Russia.
During free training practices drivers with less than three years of driving experience are given an opportunity to acquire useful skills (how to anticipate potential hazards on the road; how to control your car; how to improve your speed and car dimensions perception; how to avoid distractions while driving), as well as to learn about blind zones, seat belts effectiveness, and correct ways of emergency braking. Active driving license is a must if you want to participant in the Academy trainings.
Trainings are conducted by professional driving instructors, winners of international and all-Russian automobile and motorcycle competitions.
1. Influence of distractions (phone calls, texting, passengers)
- effective emergency braking, precision braking;
- relationship between speed and braking distance;
- determining a safe following distance;
- remaining velocity.
3. Prevention of driving under the influence (demonstrating the inability of a driver to drive safely and control the situation under the influence of alcohol or other narcotic substances)
4. Safety systems: ABS, Active City Stop, SYNC – how to employ them correctly
5. Blind zones – what are those and how to minimize them
6. Seat Belt simulator (demonstrating the effectiveness of safety seat belts in cars).
For additional information about the program, visit Ford Defensive Driving Academy web site
News of the Academy – Ford ABC Academy - Vkontakte page